Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
Comic books, strips, etc
Biography Comic books, strips, etc
Personal narratives Comic books, strips, etc
|Named Person:||Marjane Satrapi; Marjane Satrapi; Marjane Satrapi|
|Material Type:||Juvenile audience|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780375422300 0375422307 9780375714573 037571457X|
|Language Note:||In English; translated from the French.|
|Description:||153 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
Water cell --
Kim Wilde --
Originally published to wide critical acclaim in France, where it elicited comparisons to Art Spiegelman's Maus, Persepolis is Marjane Satrapi's wise, funny, and heartbreaking memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran: of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life and of the enormous toll repressive regimes exact on the individual spirit. Marjane's child's-eye-view of dethroned emperors, state-sanctioned whippings, and heroes of the revolution allows us to learn as she does the history of this fascinating country and of her own extraordinary family. Intensely personal, profoundly political, and wholly original, Persepolis is at once a story of growing up and a stunning reminder of the human cost of war and political repression. It shows how we carry on, through laughter and tears, in the face of absurdity. And, finally, it introduces us to an irresistible little girl with whom we cannot help but fall in love.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Satrapi, Marjane, -- 1969- -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Iranians -- 20th century -- Biography -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Iran -- Biography -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Iran -- History -- 1979-1997 -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Iran -- History -- Revolution, 1979 -- Personal narratives -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Satrapi, Marjane, -- 1969-
- Iran -- History -- Revolution, 1979 -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- War -- Psychological aspects.
- Coming of age.
- Cartoons and comics.
User lists with this item (114)
- Banned Books Week 2016(68 items)
by loricarrier updated about 6 days ago
- Banned Graphic Novels(16 items)
by jamiedcox updated about 2 weeks ago
- Controversial And Banned Books From Around The World(9 items)
by sarahbnedlib updated about a month ago
- International & Cross-Cultural Perspectives(176 items)
by rbergquist updated 2016-08-11
- Autobiographical Comics(45 items)
by NoetheMatt updated 2016-08-05