Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Genre/Form:||Young adult works
Comic books, strips, etc
Young adult fiction
Biography Comic books, strips, etc
Personal narratives Comic books, strips, etc
|Named Person:||Marjane Satrapi; Marjane Satrapi; Marjane Satrapi|
|Material Type:||Juvenile audience|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780375422300 0375422307 9780375714573 037571457X|
|Language Note:||In English; translated from the French.|
|Description:||153 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm|
Water cell --
Kim Wilde --
Originally published to wide critical acclaim in France, where it elicited comparisons to Art Spiegelman's Maus, Persepolis is Marjane Satrapi's wise, funny, and heartbreaking memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. In powerful black-and-white comic strip images, Satrapi tells the story of her life in Tehran from ages six to fourteen, years that saw the overthrow of the Shah's regime, the triumph of the Islamic Revolution, and the devastating effects of war with Iraq. The intelligent and outspoken only child of committed Marxists and the great-granddaughter of one of Iran's last emperors, Marjane bears witness to a childhood uniquely entwined with the history of her country. Persepolis paints an unforgettable portrait of daily life in Iran: of the bewildering contradictions between home life and public life and of the enormous toll repressive regimes exact on the individual spirit. Marjane's child's-eye-view of dethroned emperors, state-sanctioned whippings, and heroes of the revolution allows us to learn as she does the history of this fascinating country and of her own extraordinary family. Intensely personal, profoundly political, and wholly original, Persepolis is at once a story of growing up and a stunning reminder of the human cost of war and political repression. It shows how we carry on, through laughter and tears, in the face of absurdity. And, finally, it introduces us to an irresistible little girl with whom we cannot help but fall in love.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Satrapi, Marjane, -- 1969- -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Satrapi, Marjane, -- 1969-
- Iranians -- 20th century -- Biography -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Iran -- Biography -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Iran -- History -- 1979-1997 -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Iran -- History -- Revolution, 1979 -- Personal narratives -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Iran -- History -- Revolution, 1979 -- Comic books, strips, etc.
- War -- Psychological aspects.
- Coming of age.
- Cartoons and comics.
- Comic books, strips, etc.
- Alex Award, 2004.
User lists with this item (133)
- Marjane Satrapi(22 items)
by SofiaLlano updated about 4 days ago
- Things I Recommend(1 items)
by mmetyrrell updated about 2 weeks ago
- I - Produccion Marjane Satrapi(25 items)
by luciavazquezcarballo updated about 2 weeks ago
- DocumentaciÃ³n de pollo con ciruelas(25 items)
by afernandezviv updated about 2 weeks ago
- Marjane Satrapi(24 items)
by Laus5 updated about 2 weeks ago